I feel like I have a split personality during the Christmas season. At the first of December I am Andy Williams singing,”It’s The Most Wonderful Time of the year.” I blast the Christmas tunes, pin every beautiful dish from Pinterest, and string lights on every wall in my house. By mid-December something changes in me. I am starting to feel the stress and THE GRINCH starts to come out in me. The toys, the parties, the bags! The food, the shopping, the tags! I start to hate the whole Christmas season. But unlike the Grinch, I do know the reason! There is a lot of pressure on moms to make Christmas the most magical, perfect time of the year.
Our guest this week, Kathi Lipp, author of “Get Yourself Organized for Christmas: Simple Steps to Enjoying the Season,” said the problem is not Christmas. The problem is the expectations we PUT UPON OURSELVES. It is possible to truly enjoy this season that was meant to bring families together and celebrate the birth of our Savior. In this FUN conversation, Kathi provides doable tips to stay sane and get organized for Christmas.
- How to deal with expectations for the Christmas holiday
- First things first: figure out what is MOST IMPORTANT to our family and the people that we are celebrating with
- Ask ourselves what about Christmas is MOST important to me
- Gathering Christmas stuff to determine what is needed
- Allow others to help
- When to start planning for Christmas
- Get dates on the calendar early for holiday celebrations
- Make a holiday mission statement
- The value of a Christmas binder
- Keep ALL Christmas items together
- How to set a Christmas budget
- Plan gifts as early as possible and then BE DONE.
- How to blend different holiday traditions within your family
- Planning December meals
- Kathi’s favorite Christmas hacks
- Online resources to get organized for Christmas
Mom Squad Challenge: Get all your important holiday dates on the calendar!
Instant Pot Queso Dip Recipe from: Clark’s Condensed
(Not sure if this is the same one Kathi uses, but it looks good!)
- 3/4 lb white american cheese, slices
- 1 cup queso shredded cheese mix
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup water
- Put one cup of water in the bottom of your Instant Pot.
- Cover the bottom of an Instant Pot safe bowl with tin foil and place on a trivet that has been placed on the bottom of your Instant Pot.
- Add all ingredients and cover top of bowl with tin foil.
- Put on Instant Pot lid and set for 18 minutes on manual high
- After time is up, quick pressure release and remove lid.
- Remove tin foil and whisk immediately until smooth. You may need to set the pot to “saute” to help.
- I like to buy my American cheese sliced from the deli.
- When the recipe is done, you will likely see that is a little bit separated. Whisking this while it’s still hot will help to combine everything.
Favorite Fiction Books
Favorite Parenting Book