YAY! We have so much to celebrate this week! We are celebrating our ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY! We started this crazy podcast one year ago. We have loved learning from our many experts, laughing at our many mistakes and challenging ourselves to do better. We are so grateful for our amazing Mom Squad. You all continually inspire us. In this week’s episode, in addition to celebrating our podcast anniversary, we also talk about one of our favorite holidays…THANKSGIVING. This episode is full of laughter and holiday hacks. Here is what we talked about:
- Our anniversary episode
- How to win our “I’d Marry That Basket” (see instructions below)
- The highs and lows of our first year of podcasting
- Sharing our episode on social media
- Thanksgiving is about being with friends and family
- Ideas to encourage gratitude in our families
- The great pie making event
- A typical Thanksgiving day for our families
- Our favorite Thanksgiving traditions
- Our Thanksgiving hacks
- Black Friday craziness
Mom Squad Challenge: Encourage your family to WRITE and MAIL a thank you note to a different person every day for a week.
How to win our “I’d Marry That Basket”
- Post your favorite episode of Family Looking Up on your Instagram or Facebook Feed. Be sure and tag us and use the hashtag #FLUgiveaway
- Make a story with your favorite mom fail or mom success. Again, make sure to tag us and use the hashtag #FLUgiveway
- Everyday we will reveal a new item in our “I’d Marry That Basket.” Repost our post and tag us and use the hashtag #FLUgiveaway.
The winner will be announced November 19th.
Our Favorite Pandora Christmas Stations:
Big Band Christmas
Harry Connick Junior Holiday Radio
Today’s Christmas Radio
Carpenter’s Holiday Radio
Celine Dion Holiday Radio
Jim Brickman Holiday Radio
Perfect way to cook a juicy turkey and know it will be done on time!
About five hours before you plan on serving the turkey, place your turkey in a turkey bag. Follow the instructions for cooking the turkey given on the turkey bag and place in an electric roaster (you can follow the same instructions for an oven, but it is sure nice to have your oven free if you have an electric roaster). When the turkey is done (when that handy red thing pops up) turn down the roaster to 200 degrees and let it continue to cook for another 1-2 hours. This will keep the turkey warm and juicy until you are ready to serve it. It also ensures the turkey is done on time! YUM!
Beth’s Sweet Potatoes
Cook full yams in the oven at 350 degrees for about 45 min or until a knife goes in easily. Cool enough to handle. Cut up and put them in the crock pot. Make sauce and pour on top. Refrigerate (or put in garage if cold enough). Thanksgiving morning turn it on low all day.
- 8 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract not imitation
- Place the butter into a medium sized pot, then melt it over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted, sprinkle in the white & brown sugar, ground cinnamon,ground nutmeg, ground ginger, and ground clove.
- Turn the stove off, mix the ingredients, then add in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the candied mixture over the yams, and try to coat all the yams with the candied mixture.
- About 30 min before dinner cover your yammy goodness with marshmallows (I like the big ones) let them melt then ENJOY
Beth’s Banana Cream Pie Recipe
3 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup water
1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
3 large egg yolks, beaten
2 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (8 or 9-inch) prepared graham cracker or baked pie crust
2 medium bananas
Banana slices, dipped in lemon juice, drained
STIR together cornstarch, salt and water in heavy saucepan. Whisk in sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. Cool slightly. SLICE 2 bananas. Place evenly in crust. Pour filling over bananas. Cool at room temperature 10 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 3 to 4 hours or until set. GARNISH with whipped cream and banana slices